Donnerstag, 13. August 2020

Retro Music Player app and playlists

Until now I've used the Google Play Music app. One reason was that I could store songs I regularly hear locally on my device and didn't need to stream them over and over again via the mobile data connection.


As Google Play Music is being discontinued and I have transferred my collection to its successor - the Youtube Music App - only to find that I have to pay 9,99 € a month for the privilege to have the music I already bought played back locally without streaming.

I've managed - with some difficulty - to download my collection and my playlists from Google Music and I'm now trying to find an app which can play my music (most do) and can import my playlists (here lies the problem).

The Retro Music Player app is an open-source music player for Android which claims to be able to import and export playlists. But this is only partially true.

The export works perfectly as it is implemented in the app. The import is (currently) performed by the operating system and its implementation ranges from "works perfectly" to "doesn't work at all" as many bug reports on GitHub can attest to.

Until RMP decides to implement the playlist import in the app itself the functionality of this feature is left to chance.

Keine Kommentare: